ASK SUIT: How do I tie my shoelaces?
That is a great question. While everyone knows how to tie their shoelaces not everyone knows how to tie them properly. If you pay close attention to most men‘s shoes, you will realize that many shoelaces are very uneven, crooked, and even messy.
This might not be a big deal when talking about sneakers but when talking about dress shoes, it is not the best approach. Tying your shoelaces incorrectly will distract others from your otherwise sleek appearance. Also, when it comes to untying your shoes it will be much easier to do if you tied them properly.
To keep a sleek look, we will use straight lacing. It has a cleaner and simple aesthetic that suits dressy shoes, so follow these instructions:
1. Cross your shoelaces right over left and form a knot
2. Create a loop with on your right hand
3. Pull the left string towards yourself over the loop
4. Pull that same left string under the loop and finish your knot
Now you are all set, with an even and tidy looking knot on your shoes. If you reverse the process and create your knot left over right, realize that step three will also have to be reversed to achieve the same even straight knot that we have been talking about.
Things to take into account
Putting extra attention to the way you tie your shoelaces might seem like an unnecessary hassle, but the truth is that it makes a BIG difference. Looking sharp at the end of the day is all about the small details.
- Make sure your shoelaces are equal in length from the beginning. If not take them out and properly put them in.
- When you finish your knot, both sides should also be equal in length.
- If you are wearing dressy shoes whose laces stay up instead of falling over the shoe as they would do in sneakers, make sure that your laces do not go over the width of your shoe. To keep the attention on the great shoe that you have decided to wear and never the laces.
- If you are wearing dress shoes another pro tip is to tuck your laces inside the outer lace for a more polished look.
- There are multiple ways to cross your lacing: crisscross, straight, diagonal… But if you want to keep it simple and stylish for any situation I suggest you stick with the straight bar lacing, it is the simplest one to achieve. A style you can also never go wrong with.
Since shoes are the accessory that will top off your outfits, make sure to wear them clean and properly laced from now on. It will be the detail differentiating you from any other guy into a well-dressed gentleman.
For more styling tips you can have a look at our other editorials. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ASK SUIT.