Today we are back with a much more serious topic from what we usually cover here at SUITMAKE. We will be sharing coronavirus preventative measures and helpful information regarding this topic. Seeing all the misinformation, panic-inducing articles, opportunist content, and the general concern we decided that it was important for us to deliver all the information that we have been researching to our audience in hopes that we can help as much as possible.
First, what is coronavirus?
Coronavirus is a viral disease that in most cases affects only animals. Some of the animals known to carry this virus are bats, snakes, or camels among others. Generally, it does not infect people but currently and in a couple previous occasions it has spread to humans.
This novel coronavirus alike with previous viruses like MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV, are all respiratory illnesses. The current novel coronavirus epicenter has been traced back to Wuhan China.
Coronavirus in Numbers
Currently with little information of its exact behavior due to it is novelty. Still, we have been collecting research and numbers that might help you understand and put into perspective the situation a little bit better:
- The current estimation in the fatality rate is considered to be around 2%, 1% when excluding the city of Wuhan (5.5%). To give you some numbers for comparison, the fatality rate with seasonal flu is less than 0.01%. And the mortality rate for other coronaviruses like SARS or MERS was 10% and 34% respectively.
- The previous estimated transmission rate had been calculated at 2.0 – 3.1, which indicates 2 to 3 new possible transmissions out of each new case. This has currently been updated to 3 to 4 cases for each new patient.
- Current information around the incubation period is that it can take up to two weeks to develop symptoms. And what has now been confirmed is that during that time the disease can transmit when in contact with other people. Even when we might not be even aware of carrying the virus.
- As for now, 28 different countries worldwide have been known to have shown cases. And the number of affected people have more than tripled the final numbers of previous corona virus outbreaks.
- Coronavirus is currently being warned by specialist as a big treat. Even when compared to very deadly virus like Ebola. Not because of the fatality of it but because of its potential to spread.
As you can see, even when it is not possible to give definite numbers to the severity of the situation, this outbreak seems to be less fatal for now when compared to previous cases. Less fatal but definitely more contagious.
The current symptoms and diagnosis listed by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) are:
- Shortness of breath
- runny nose
- sore throat
- a general feeling of being unwell
In this day and age, with so much traveling involved in our lifestyle the possibilities of such viruses to spread all over the world are quite high. And as a result, we need to pay close attention to coronavirus preventative measures. Yesterday, January 30th, the World Health Organization declared the coronavirus outbreak a Global Public Health Emergency due to the high spread rate. Yet experts and ourselves want to remind you that it is important to remain calm.
What can you do to stay healthy?
The World Health Organization has listed the following advice for the public in order to reduce the exposure and transmission of the virus. Please read the coronavirus preventative measures with careful attention and follow them wisely.
- Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water;
Experts recommend to thoroughly wash your hands for at least 30 seconds to prevent the transmission of the virus.
Please do so after coughing or sneezing, when caring for the sick, before and after meals and any meal prep, before and after toilet use, after handling animals or animal waste, etc. It is also extremely important to keep your hands clean before having contact with your face, eyes, nose, and mouth.
- When coughing and sneezing cover your mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissues. Throw the tissue away immediately and wash hands;
- Avoid close contact with anyone who has a fever and cough;
- If you have a fever, cough, and difficulty breathing seek medical care early and share previous travel history with your health care provider;
- When visiting live markets in areas currently experiencing cases of novel coronavirus, avoid direct unprotected contact with live animals and surfaces in contact with animals;
- You should avoid the consumption of raw or undercook animal products. Handle raw meat, milk, or animal organs with care. Avoid cross-contamination with uncooked foods as per good food safety practices.
What we want to remind you
-Please stay calm and avoid reading sensationalistic and misinformative articles that might make the situation appear even bigger and more dramatic. In other words, stay informed but do not obsess.
-Make sure to keep not only your basic hygiene measures but also disinfect those items that you constantly use. Phones, credit cards, computers, wallets… especially those made out of any sort of metal as the virus has been proven to last alive on those materials for longer.
-For the time being try to avoid traveling to China, especially the affected area unless extremely necessary.
-Follow the general instructions given for prevention. Especially when in crowded or relatively sensitive zones like airports and other travel epicenters.
-Eat healthily and make sure your immune system stays as strong as possible.
-This is not a matter of race or nationality. the disease, in this case, has originated in China but any person no matter their race and/or nationality can carry the disease. Abstain from making misinformed choices, harsh judgments or behave inappropriately on things concerning this situation. We are talking about a whole country and its people. No virus no matter the seriousness of it should be an excuse to carry out hateful actions or serve as an excuse for racism.
-Take this as an attention call to realize how much do you wish to live. As well as the importance of staying healthy and taking care of your body. With that, make sure to maintain similar hygiene measures for the long term. And to live more fully and purposely from now on and into the future.
For more information on this subject, you can check some of these videos.
Above all, look out for your well-being and stay healthy.